Monday, November 1, 2010

Happiness & Romantic Relationships - > Blog 5

Maintaining happiness in a romantic relationship is difficult. When you start a relationship, everything is perfect (at least it should be!). As things continue though, you'll find that it's harder to keep the initial love alive. Between all the hardships you'll face together and having to accept someone else for everything they are, sometimes its hard to remember that you love the person at all. When faced with this point of your relationship you can either complain about it, fix it, or simply accept it.

Through my own long-term relationship, I find it true that its hard to maintain happiness in romantic relationships. Of course when my relationship first started, things couldn't have been better but soon enough things changed. Together we had been through so much, we just were exhausted. We had also done so much to hurt each other, it was hard to remember how things were in the beginning. It was also difficult to accept someone for all their faults, and enjoy the parts of them that weren't necessarily faults, but merely didn't compliment me. Instead of going one way with how to handle it, I went though all three like stages.

At first I just complained, about everything! Complaining though never fixed anything, it only ever caused way more of a strain on our relationship. Then once the complaining had officially made things worse, I tried fixing whatever was causing all our problems. Trying to fix everything just proved to be harder. I wasn't sure what I was trying to fix, I just knew I wasn't happy. As I was working tirelessly to fix things though, I realized there really wasn't anything that needed fixing. Me trying to fix him all the time, made me realize what I was doing, and actually love him more. Due to that, I began to enjoy my relationship again and finally decided that I would just accept my relationship for what it was. As soon as I did that, and let go of whatever I had thought a relationship should be, I became happier.

Maintaining happiness in romantic relationships is a hard endeavor. Its hard to find someone who you get along with and who accepts you. Singer Sara Bareilles says, "When you start to make room for the parts that aren't you it gets harder to bloom in a garden of love." This is true about relationships, which are hard on their own without adding deep meaning to them. When you find its hard you can either complain, try to fix it, or accept it. I'm almost positive though, that depending on the circumstance, if you try to just accept that which you cannot change, you can find plenty happiness in your relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment